This learning activity represents a synthesis of the available evidence
for optimal chronic non-cancer pain (CNCP) management in the primary care setting.
This CPD Accredited Activity has been developed to help you improve your
knowledge, skills, and confidence in identifying and managing patients
By the end of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe the 'sociopsychobiomedical' approach to the assessment and management of patients presenting with chronic non-cancer pain (CNCP)
- Identify factors that influence patients' perception and experience of CNCP
- Outline a diagnostic approach that screens for serious causes of CNCP and psychological risk factors
- Discuss the major multimodal, multidisciplinary approach to pain management for CNCP and their appropriate clinical application
- Outline the role of pharmacotherapy for CNCP and their clinical application
- Where indicated, describe the necessary steps for best practice prescribing of opioids for CNCP, including risk minimisation strategies
- Formulate a whole person management plan for patients with CNCP
- Outline best practice communication skills for optimal outcomes in patients with CNCP
If you do not already have an account with Arterial Education, you will be required to create one. This verifies that you are a healthcare professional and allows you to log your learning activities.